Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I wear teal


On April 11th, 2012, the day after my 25th birthday, I got a ribbon. A teal ribbon. An awareness ribbon. Awareness for PCOS. Polycystic Ovary Syndrom. I was diagnosed today, and more than ever I feel like for every 2 steps we take forward we're forced to take 3 steps back. The longer we go on this road, the more then blocks are stacked against us. I'm starting Metformin right away to help with the insulin resistance and other symptoms. My Insulin level was 18.2 when it should have been at around 5. My FSH levels were 2.5 times what my LH levels were.

FSH is often used as a gauge of ovarian reserve. In general, under 6 is excellent, 6-9 is good, 9-10 fair, 10-13 diminished reserve, 13+ very hard to stimulate. In PCOS testing, the LH:FSH ratio may be used in the diagnosis. The ratio is usually close to 1:1, but if the LH is higher, it is one possible indication of PCOS. A fasting insulin of 10-13 generally indicates some insulin resistance, and levels above 13 indicate greater insulin resistance.

My FSH level was 14.3 and my LH level was 5.6. My insulin was at an 18.2.

After reviewing symptoms, everything makes sense and I'm not surprised with his findings, but it hurts. It hurts being misdiagnosed for 10 years and suffering through 2 unnecessary surgeries and completely starting over on how we're going to get pregnant. This changes everything.

As if that wasn't bad enough, Randy's tests came back poorly as well. He has low motility and a low count. Where he should be around 70% he's around 20% so he's going to have to start seeing a urologist in order to get treatment. It's not the worst, but it's not good. If I was perfectly healthy it probably wouldn't be too big of an issue, but as I'm not, it makes us having a child that much more difficult.

The only thing I can do at this point is start my meds and research. See what I can do to fight this. I won't let this beat me. This monster has a name and I plan on doing what I can to win this. I won't let this control me or establish who I am or what my future is. I know there is a plan. And I know I am meant to be a mother. One way or another, I will make that goal happen.



1 comment:

  1. Where did you get a ribbon? I've been looking for one and can't find it.

    Don't fret. It's a hard road, trust me, I've been on it for years. PCOS is not an easy diagnosis, but it also isn't the be all/end all. Just keep your head up, know that I'm here and (other than the TTC part) I understand. Also, join soulcysters ...it's great support.

    ReplyDelete