Sunday, April 22, 2012

In the beginning

I suppose this blog is going to take a turn for the teal. By which I mean, I can't focus on being TTC until I focus on getting healthy in spite of the PCOS, so I guess this journey is taking a detour focus on the mommy to be. I've started a group on facebook, Southern Cysters: An Alabama Based PCOS Support Group, to get in contact with others in my area also battling PCOS. I figure the only way I can do this is to be as proactive as I can be, and anyone who knows me knows what a little activist I am. Any excuse, right? lol After doing a bit of research, I'm seeing that PCOS encompasses so much more than I thought it did. Most things I've had issues with since puberty I can now link back with PCOS. It's shocking, reliving I guess, but frustrating at the same time.
Everyone keeps going back to "All of your problems will go away if you just loose weight". Okay... well, that's a little easier said than done. I'm currently having a lot of trouble getting used to the fact that pasta, bread, sweets, fruit, all of these foods that didn't make me sick (when most all food makes me sick) are actually really bad and I can't have them anymore, period, because my body doesn't know how to properly digest them without massive amount of insulin. ..... wow. I love chicken, veggies, nuts, ect.... but that's not the problem. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this change. I'm not too good at being told 'No' and if you saw my kitchen right now, it's not even in the ball park of being PCOS friendly. I'm currently at a loss, but I know I want to impress Dr. Richmond when I go back for my 6 week post metformin check up with some nice amount of weight loss. The only thing I know to do is to make small goals. My first goal was cutting out all sodas. I haven't had a soda since I started my Metformin. Yay me, but I've done this before. Numerous times before, so it wasn't a hard switch. My current goal is to drink 1 gallon of water a day. I'm starting that today. We'll see how it goes.
I'm on day 10 of my metformin. I'm still at 500mg (building up to 1650) and I've yet to have any of the 'digestive' side effects. I was terrified I would, but so far so good. I've had headaches here and there but I'm not sure they're connected. Thursday I go to 2 pills a day. We'll see if I'm still so lucky in the diuretic department. I'm sure that's when the worst of it will start. I've been told once I'm up to my full dosage my appetite will decrease and my weight will fall off, my skin will get better, and my body hair will lighten up and become much much thinner. So I'll get hot? That'll be nice. ;) I'm not holding one little series of pills to that high of esteem quite yet. We'll see if I change my mind in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment